Is Schooling Equitable?

     Schooling can be described as many things. In some ways, it could be considered equitable, but I believe it should be regarded as inequitable in many more ways. This starts at the beginning of education. The school board, the teachers, the staff, and anything regarding the importance of the education of these students. But how come these authority figures are more focused on the race and ethnicity of these kids instead of the minds in them. There is no doubt that in our history Black children were criminalized just because of the color of their skin. They were severely mistreated and compared to the white children; “schools play a huge role in creating a culture of punishment against Black students,” said Subini Ancy Annamma. Annamma is a Stanford Education professor and an activist for Black Lives Matter. She very much inspired me with her many thoughts on the disparities in school systems. Though, school systems in the past were very inequitable, I think this modern society is somewhat making up for that, there are still many teachers who live by hatred and don’t treat their students equally, but for the most part, I see a change. Being an Asian-American, I feel I have also had many discriminating moments from teachers, students, and people in general. Being a minority, other people will never understand the hardships that can also come with it. I am glad to say though that these experiences have taught me growth and a realization that the world can just be a diminishing place if you let it be.  

Comments

  1. Hello Jeslyn!
    I wanted to start off by thanking you for your response. I have read through many of the BLOG posts from our class and yours has really stuck out to me. Not only did you point out that schools are inequitable, you pinned down the root of it without hesitation. These actions need to be called out in order for change to occur, and you did so with clear intent.
    Having said all of this, I want to build off of all that you mentioned and say that I never even recognized that school was inequitable until I was much older. This disgusting behavior going on in classrooms has become so normalized that it's hard to pin-point. We as educators have a big impact on our students and it is important to utilize our influence in a way that redirects these actions into more positive results. Overall, I love how clear and concise you were with your response. Your ideas were clear and backed up wonderfully by your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeslyn!
    I love the point you made in your blog about the undeniable history of inequitable schooling in the United States. Although I agree that it has vastly improved from outright segregation, I still think that our education system is very whitewashed and is quick to praise white students and equally fast to criticize and punish students of color. One of the articles I read discussed how young black and latino male students expect to get in trouble with their teachers, and their teachers expect them to be in trouble more than other students. In a study conducted, through intentionally fostering a connection between those students and teachers, it significantly lowered the number of students who got in trouble. This study illustrated to me, along with our other sources this week, that schooling in the United States is absolutely not equitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeslyn!! Your response was worded perfectly! I love how you dove in and said schooling was inequitable. I have noticed as well that yes, our faculty and staff are said to be there to better our education, yet they are focused on race, ethnicity and gender. I feel as if today, more than ever we should be focusing on the students as a whole and equal, rather than viewing our minds as our race or gender. As a future educator, it is interesting to see now and start to figure out how we want to treat our students, and also teach them that our brains, personality and passion do not have a label. We should teach our students that we are truly there to encourage a healthy learning environment, not to view them as a label.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeslyn!
    Your response to this question was said perfectly. You found one of the major problems wrong with the schools and school systems and nailed it. I agree with you 100% that schools are inequitable and I think now as I continue this journey as a future educator I'm starting to see how that is so. I loved how you incorporated an outside source that agrees with how schools are so fixated on race and ethnicity. I've had my fair share of experiences of teachers and other students who judged me and discriminated against me for being hispanic. But now seeing how the school system is and how they treat students, I feel like us as future educators should change that and give these students a better view of how they should be treated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment